Revisiting our Vision, Goals, and Objectives
Destination 2040 offers an opportunity for the MPO to revisit its 20-year vision for transportation in the Boston region—and the goals and objectives that advance that vision—in the context of additional public input and an updated Needs Assessment.
The MPO’s vision and goals guide all of its planning efforts and investment decisions. For example, the MPO assesses how well specific projects would advance its vision and goals when selecting projects to receive discretionary capital funds.
In 2015, when the MPO last updated its Long-Range Transportation Plan (LRTP), municipalities, public agencies, organizations, and residents from the region united around the following vision and goals.
A modern transportation system that is safe, uses new technologies, provides equitable access, excellent mobility, and varied transportation options in support of a sustainable, healthy, livable, and economically vibrant region.
- Safety: Transportation by all modes will be safe
- System Preservation: Maintain the transportation system
- Capacity Management/Mobility: Use existing facility capacity more efficiently and increase healthy transportation capacity
- Clean Air/Clean Communities: Create an environmentally friendly transportation system
- Transportation Equity: Provide comparable transportation access and service quality among communities, regardless of income level or minority population
- Economic Vitality: Ensure our transportation network provides a strong foundation for economic vitality
The Boston Region MPO has long supported projects that improve facilities for transit, bicycling, and walking, but Charting Progress to 2040 was the first LRTP for the region that did not prioritize major roadway projects ahead of non-auto-centric projects. Charting Progress to 2040 set aside approximately half of the MPO’s discretionary funding for investments in the transit system, bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure, and enhancements to roads and intersections for the safety and use of all travelers.
The MPO will reevaluate its vision and goals after completing the Needs Assessment for Destination 2040.
For more information, please contact Anne McGahan, MPO staff, at 857.702.3676 or email@example.com.