The MPO has released a draft of its new Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) for a 21-day public-review period, and will accept comments from members of the public through May 15. The new TIP allocates the MPO’s capital expenditures for transportation construction projects over the next five federal fiscal years (FFYs 2018–22).
Review the Public Draft
- Executive Summary (pdf) (html)
- Full Document (pdf) (html)
- Tables of projects programmed, by federal fiscal year (pdf) (html)
The MPO expects to vote on the final TIP at its meeting on Thursday, May 25, 2017. See the timeline to the right for the draft document and translations of its executive summary, as well as upcoming milestones, meetings, and events.
This year, 28 potential projects were under consideration for the MPO’s target funding. The MPO must make difficult decisions about how to spend its annual allocation of approximately 95 million dollars in discretionary funding, guided by the visions, goals, objectives, and investment framework established in Charting Progress to 2040.
Each year, we follow a similar process:
- Gather ideas and information (September-January) about possible projects from our own staff, member municipalities, and the public
- Analyze, evaluate, and select (February-March) projects based on our criteria and other factors such as project cost, project readiness, regional distribution of TIP funding, and other planning priorities and constraints
- Incorporate feedback (April-May) from municipalities and the public and agree on final list of transportation construction projects to program for federal funding
Refer to the timeline to the right for upcoming milestones, meetings, and events.
MPO’s TIP Tables and Database:
Massachusetts Department of Transportation Project References:
Federal Funding Programs:
- Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act Fact Sheets
- Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Transit Funding Grants
- Guide To Federal-Aid Programs And Projects
- Congestion Mitigation And Air Quality Improvement Program (CMAQ)
- Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP)
- Surface Transportation Block Grant Program (STBG)
- Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP)