Home » Our Work
Each federal fiscal year, the MPO produces the Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP). This document programs studies and research projects that provide transportation planning and technical assistance to municipalities and agencies in the region. These studies focus on all modes of travel, with the goal of creating communities that are safe, accessible, more walkable, bikeable, and resilient.
The UPWP work undertaken by MPO staff fulfills a number of functions:
- Supports the MPO’s collaborative public decision-making process
- Gathers data about the transportation system
- Identifies needs of transportation system users to enhance the Long-Range Transportation Plan (LRTP) Needs Assessment
- Develops project concepts for improving the transportation system—along roadway corridors, at intersections, on bicycle and pedestrian facilities, and on transit routes
- Looks ahead to help the MPO anticipate trends that are shaping the transportation industry; and to understand the relationship between transportation and other matters
Developing the FFY 2019 UPWP: Draft UPWP Document, Amendment One to the FFY 2018 UPWP Available for Public Review and Comment
The MPO also voted to release Amendment One to the FFY 2018 UPWP for public review during the same 30-day period. This amendment removes the discrete study, Potential Impacts of Connected and Autonomous Vehicles ($50,000), from the FFY 2018 UPWP and allocates its funds to the Federal Certification Review ($40,000), and Support to the MPO and its Committees ($10,000) budget items.
The MPO will accept comments on both documents through June 11, 2018. The MPO expects to vote to endorse the UPWP and approve Amendment One at its meeting on June 21, 2018.
Ways to provide comments include:
- Use the online comment form
- Mail written comment letters to Sandy Johnston, UPWP Manager, Boston Region MPO, Suite 2150, 10 Park Plaza, Boston, MA 02116
- Meet with MPO Staff at one of the following events:
To see the current schedule for FFY 2019 UPWP development, key upcoming MPO meetings, and relevant documents, visit the UPWP Development Page.
See below for the current (FFY 2018) UPWP and past documents.
On June 15, 2017, the MPO board voted to endorse the FFY 2018 Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP) (pdf) (html) The FFY 2018 UPWP was approved by our federal partners and took effect on October 1, 2017.